Asphalt pavements are one of the most popular paving options in Annapolis, Baltimore, and around. Asphalt has many advantages and is relatively more convenient for parking lots, highways, etc. However, maintaining the asphalt pavement properly is important to the extent of its lifetime. There are some common types of pavement distresses such as cracking, distortion, disintegration, skidding hazards, and surface treatment distresses. Understanding the distress is crucial and you must hire an Asphalt paving contractor who knows the cracks and potholes like the back of their hands. Read on to know all kinds of asphalt damages and how to repair them.
Here’s everything you need to know about the common Asphalt Pavement Damages:
1. Types Of Pavement Cracking & Repair Solution:
There are 6 types of asphalt cracks in general and they need to be repaired accordingly. The different types of asphalt cracks include,
- Block Cracking: Squares or circles of cracks in your asphalt pavement, called Block cracking, do not extend into the sub-layers, and therefore the surface damage can be treated easily. Simply seal the cracks to restore the integrity of the asphalt.
- Edge cracks: Appearing along the outside edges of the pavement, these cracks are typically long and run in the direction of the road. Edge cracks can be filled with your choice of asphalt crack seal or asphalt emulsion. Remove all vegetation from the edges of the paved surface and improve the drainage.
- Fatigue Cracking Or, Alligator Cracking: It is when you notice numerous small cracks in a localized area, resembling the skin of an alligator. full-depth patches, strengthening and restoring the integrity of the surface are recommended for such damages.
- Linear Cracking or Longitudinal Cracking: This is when the cracks occur along the joints of the asphalt pavement due to improper materials and paving combined with environmental effects. Prevent water from seeping into the asphalt and underlying layers to prevent these damages. Install proper and improved drainage around the surface and sealcoat the cracks to repair.
- Reflection Cracking: Not just a surface crack but when the cracks are mirrored by the sub-layers as well, it is called the reflection cracks, occurring straight and sometimes forming a grid across the pavement. We recommend filling these cracks with sealants and asphalt fill mixtures.
- Slippage Cracks: If there are wrinkles and deep open gaps, looking like the asphalt is slipping along the surface, it is characterized as slippage cracking. The improper asphalt mix is generally the major reason for this. You need either full or partial depth patches, to repair such damage.
2. Corrugations and Shoving Of Asphalt Pavements & Repair:
The material and asphalt mix used during the paving is crucial and if not perfect, Corrugations happen, characterized by lumps and bumps in the paved surface. At Premier Paving, we use only the highest quality materials to suit your style and budget. Corrugations can only be repaired by cutting out the affected areas and applying full-depth patches.
3. Pavement Rutting & Repair:
Characterized by indentations along the wheel paths of different vehicles, the pavement rutting must be attended to as soon as possible because it will only deteriorate with the aggravation of traffic. To repair, Rutting is typically repaired by an overlay or a thin surface patch. Try our Asphalt milling services as required according to the damage. Contact for a free estimation.
4. Grade Depressions in Asphalt After Rain & Its Repair:
If you notice a section of the pavement settling lower than the surrounding pavement after a rain shower, it’s time to repair your asphalt parking lot . Depression is repaired with overlay or infrared patches and cold mills.
5. Potholes Repair:
Potholes are one of the most common occurrences when you don’t maintain the asphalt paving properly or ignore the cracks and other damage signs. Heavy traffic and snow removal aggravate pothole damage, creating many hazards. So before the snow hits the surface, repair all cracks and we also recommend installing asphalt sealcoating .
As a general rule, If you can see the colors of individual stones in the asphalt, you need to reapply a sealcoat to it. If you think it might be time to seal the pavement but aren’t quite sure, contact us. We are the experts of Asphalt Paving in Baltimore , Annapolis MD.